Skip to main content

Finding My Calling

I see a lot of people in life trying to figure out what their calling is. What they were meant to do here on earth. What their purpose is. If they even have one. 

If you are TRULY with Christ, then you have laid down all the old things, and are starting to put on the new things. It can be a very hard time in life. Everything you have believed, thought, ever told yourself, come to know, all of it is gone now. Losing all of that can be hard. Humans seem to have to have an identity and we tend to put it into those types of things. What do we do when we lose our identity???

Well, we have to search for a new one. As you might have heard a few times before, we have to find our calling. 

CALLING-What is that even? We are so worried about finding our calling in life, but do we really know what it means. 

Looked it up online and this is the definition I found...

A calling is a strong inner impulse toward a particular course of actionIt may be accompanied by conviction of divine influence or influenced by what one is good at, what one loves doing, and what the world needsA calling can take many forms and lead to different vocations, professions, or trades. 

Uh, well that sort of sounds like that one phrase that we hear all the time. You know the one I am talking about. That dangerous one. FOLLOW YOUR HEART! Yea, that's the one. 

My God in Jeremiah 17:9 says, "The heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked: who can know it?' 

NOW I know, as a Christian walking with the Lord, it is not what I love doing. Because when I am operating outside of Christ, I love listening to bad music, drinking, smoking, fornicating, all of these things. But one thing that I have always loved, is kids. I do not know why I have always been drawn to them. They are so much simpler that adults. They love you deeply and always tell you the truth! I have drawn towards them more than adults for my entire life. Thinking that because that is what I love and what I am good at, THIS has to be my calling. Working with youth is it!

BUT WAIT!!! OH MY GOSH! WHAT IF I HAVE IT ALL WRONG???

THE PANIC, THE FEELING OF BEING WRONG, THE DREADFUL FEELING OF DISAPPOINTING GOD. It can be so overwhelming sometimes. Not even joking, when we, or at least when I start thinking about it, it can eat me alive if I let it. 

SO...

Of course, we come to the question. 

How does one know his/her calling for sure?

In church and Bible study, I keep hearing this phrase and it means a lot to me right now. " You are not the main character" The youth today come up with all sorts of slang terms, and sayings, I have not really caught on to one until I heard this one. I'm sorry some of them are just crazy. Like right now, I have this girl at work that it obsessed with "Bougie" and when I had her sister, it was "Slay". None have stuck out until I heard this one. 

We are not called to be the main character of this story. So, if we are not the main character, then who is? 

1 Corinthians 10:31 Whatever you do, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 

God wants to be the main character. Are we going to let Him be? Are we going to set aside our plans, our dreams, our ambitions that are lifting ourselves up and start lifting up the Lord. Stop seeking that next promotion that glorifies us. Stop seeking that next award or degree that only glorifies us. Stop seeking that that perfect credit score that glorifies us. Stop seeking that fancy car (or should I say Bougie car) that glorifies us.

There are many things that God calls us to do in the Bible. But I believe the overall picture, is that He calls us to me with HIM. Just like it was created to be. In perfect unity with the Lord. The perfect state of Eden. Isn't that just a  beautiful thought. He just wants us there with Him. 

When I look into calling in the Greek, it is klesis. Which literally means an invitation. He is calling us to HIM. All we have to do is say Yes, Lord. I am Yours. 

In order to be with God, we must be holy because He is Holy. 1 Peter 1:15-16 But as He which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation. Because it is written, be ye holy, for I am Holy. 

Luke 6:35-36 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in again, and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil, be ye merciful, as your Father also is merciful. 

God calls us to be Holy like He is. What do you think of when you think of God's character?
I think healer, deliverer, truth, righteous, loving, kind, merciful, gracious, forgiving, pure, undefiled, loves the fatherless and the widow, giving and generous, and humble. And that is just a few. These are our calling. Jesus calls us to love, to give, to go out and preach truth, to heal people, to set people free through deliverance, to forgive, to Love the Lord our God with all of our heart, mind, and soul. 

He does not call us to anything that He is not going to equip us for. He tells us that in His word, and we know that His word is truth. Hebrews 13:21 Make you perfect in every good work to do His will, working in you that which is well pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen 

Stop panicking about getting it right, and just be with the Lord. My prayer for us all today, is that we can stop seeking to lift ourselves up in whatever way we tend to do that and start lifting up our Lord and Savior. Our Creator and Maker of heaven and earth. Our Redeemer and Deliverer. The only reason why we have what we have. The one who graced us with forgiveness. The One who wants to love us so deeply and be with us that He gave His only Son so that can happen. That we would stop looking for a specific calling and look to the one calling!

What a beautiful love story. He just wants you. He is calling you BY NAME, INVITING you to the wedding. Put down the other stuff, pick up the call, and walk with HIM!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuck in this season, because I can't let go

       Do you ever feel like you are just failing in life? Like there is nothing that you can do right? I am going through a season that I have thought was over but apparently it is not. I believe God is ready for me to move onto the next season, but I am keeping myself stuck in this season. A few weeks ago, it felt like I was moving out of it. But here I am. STUCK!        Why have I not moved out of this season. I feel like I am sabotaging my entire walk with the LORD and there is nothing I can do to stop it. Maybe that is just it. Maybe I need to stop and just TRUST GOD. I feel like it is much easier said than done. Why is it so hard to trust God? I cannot seem to get out onto the first step, not matter how much I want to. I want to walk with the Lord, in everything that He has ordained for my life. But right now, it feels like I am missing it all. I think as humans we want to see the entire picture...but with God, we can't. If we saw the entire picture, we would not really be tr

Rest sounds GOOOOODD!!!

 A wonderful friend of mine has invited me to start studying the Book of Hebrews with her. It has been amazing. The Lord has really blessed us in it. This last week we did Chapter 4. Which was a lot about rest. And then our Guest Pastor Tim Morrow spoke on resting with the Lord on Sunday.  I don't believe there are such things as a coincidence.  At church he was talking about entering into the Lord's rest. Which comes at the end of our run.  God has created rest since the beginning for us. The Israelites could not enter it because they were disobedient to the Lord.  Hebrews 4:6 NLT So God's rest is for the people to enter, but those who first heard this good news failed to enter because they disobeyed God.  My KJV says they failed to enter because of their unbelief. Unbelief or Disobedience?? I found this extremely interesting, maybe just because I am a nerd for the Word of God. In Numbers 14:3-4 (NLT), Why is the Lord taking us to this country only to have us die in battle

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry

  Have you ever heard something at one part of the day  and it kind of resonated with you but you just went on  with the rest of your day? Then later that day you hear  something of the same thing?  That happens to me all the time.  This is how I know God is trying to talk to me. There are no sure things a coincidences. If this happens to you, PAY ATTENTION! God is trying to tell you something.      I am bringing this up because I feel like it is a message that the church needs to hear. I have been feeling led to write this blog for days now, but have ignored the leading. Today I sat down, turned my computer on, only to learn that the battery had stopped working completely. I knew in my spirit this message needed to go out...so I went to WalMart to buy a new computer. The enemy knows this is how I share what God teaches me, so he attempted to stop it, but he did no prevail. Now I am sitting at my kitchen table with the power of the Holy Spirit in me and we are going to write this blog.