Skip to main content

I Count It All Gain

Ecclesiastes 3:6 A time to get, and a time to lose, a time to keep and a time to cast away. 

Things in this life are only temporary. It is all vanity. 
Sometimes we hold on so tight to something because it feels like it is our everything. It seems like we question, what will I be if I let go of this?

We grow immensely attached to things so easily. Earthly possessions, people, animals, money, ideas, everything under the sun. It is almost sickening some of the things people grow so attached to. I'm not judging, I am one of them. Probably why I feel so uneasy about it. 

At church, we have been going through a lesson on suffering. We can either suffer for earthly things or suffer in Christ. 

                                                                                             
Right now, I am suffering in Christ. God calls us sometimes to let go of these items we hold so dearly. We do not always see the bigger picture. Which for me, makes it so much harder. While going through this process, I cannot help but to think about a picture I saw a while ago.          
A little girl has a teddy bear. Jesus is asking her to let it go, but
she does not want to. Jesus has a bigger bear behind His back. 
She does not know what Jesus has in store. She thinks that if 
she lets go she will be empty handed. 
But that is never the case with our God. 

It is so not easy to say, Here Lord. There are usually many emotional ties we have with the bear. Maybe our grandma gave it to us. Maybe we have had it every night since we were a baby. Maybe our best friend has one just like it. Maybe it is the only toy we have ever really owned. 

When God asked me to give up a relationship, I really struggled to do so. We put a lot of time into this relationship. We were close friends. It seemed like we needed each other. Just so many things leading me to disobey the Lord. When I finally listened, it really hurt, despite everything that was wrong in this relationship, I was extremely sad. I know why God asked me to give it up, but that does not make it any easier. 

I considered this relationship my life. It was taking God's place in my life. It had become my life. 

Matthew 16:24 If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up my cross, and follow me. If you try to hang onto your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your soul? Is anything worth more than your soul??

                                                         Holding onto that relationship so tight, was keeping me 
from catching God's blessing. What I thought was 
helping me, was truly hurting me. My hand was so 
tight around it, it was painful. I could not hold on 
anymore and try to hold onto God at the same time.   

What are we going to gain from letting go. In that moment, it feels
like we are losing EVERYTHING. Not just one thing, but everything. That is probably why it was so important to let go. 

I had to ask myself what damage am I causing by holding onto this.
Is anyone going to benefit from me holding on? Is God able to move into this situation? If we are holding on so tightly, can we grasp God when He comes in? What blessings are we not going to be able to catch because our hands are so tight on something else?

Philippians 3:8 (NKJV) Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ. 

Even in the middle of lose, we can count it gain. 

I just want to encourage you today, do not ignore God because of the things that seem to be your everything. God wants to be your everything, He wants to have you hold on to Him ever so tightly, nothing else. When we do it for Christ, we can count it a gain. Despite how bad it hurts, how painful it is, how unbelievably deep of wound it leaves.   
                   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuck in this season, because I can't let go

       Do you ever feel like you are just failing in life? Like there is nothing that you can do right? I am going through a season that I have thought was over but apparently it is not. I believe God is ready for me to move onto the next season, but I am keeping myself stuck in this season. A few weeks ago, it felt like I was moving out of it. But here I am. STUCK!        Why have I not moved out of this season. I feel like I am sabotaging my entire walk with the LORD and there is nothing I can do to stop it. Maybe that is just it. Maybe I need to stop and just TRUST GOD. I feel like it is much easier said than done. Why is it so hard to trust God? I cannot seem to get out onto the first step, not matter how much I want to. I want to walk with the Lord, in everything that He has ordained for my life. But right now, it feels like I am missing it all. I think as humans we want to see the entire picture...but with God, we can't. If we saw the entire picture, we would not really be tr

Rest sounds GOOOOODD!!!

 A wonderful friend of mine has invited me to start studying the Book of Hebrews with her. It has been amazing. The Lord has really blessed us in it. This last week we did Chapter 4. Which was a lot about rest. And then our Guest Pastor Tim Morrow spoke on resting with the Lord on Sunday.  I don't believe there are such things as a coincidence.  At church he was talking about entering into the Lord's rest. Which comes at the end of our run.  God has created rest since the beginning for us. The Israelites could not enter it because they were disobedient to the Lord.  Hebrews 4:6 NLT So God's rest is for the people to enter, but those who first heard this good news failed to enter because they disobeyed God.  My KJV says they failed to enter because of their unbelief. Unbelief or Disobedience?? I found this extremely interesting, maybe just because I am a nerd for the Word of God. In Numbers 14:3-4 (NLT), Why is the Lord taking us to this country only to have us die in battle

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry

  Have you ever heard something at one part of the day  and it kind of resonated with you but you just went on  with the rest of your day? Then later that day you hear  something of the same thing?  That happens to me all the time.  This is how I know God is trying to talk to me. There are no sure things a coincidences. If this happens to you, PAY ATTENTION! God is trying to tell you something.      I am bringing this up because I feel like it is a message that the church needs to hear. I have been feeling led to write this blog for days now, but have ignored the leading. Today I sat down, turned my computer on, only to learn that the battery had stopped working completely. I knew in my spirit this message needed to go out...so I went to WalMart to buy a new computer. The enemy knows this is how I share what God teaches me, so he attempted to stop it, but he did no prevail. Now I am sitting at my kitchen table with the power of the Holy Spirit in me and we are going to write this blog.