Skip to main content

What are you yoked to?

What are you yoked to?

That is an odd question. How do I even answer that?

    Well.... if we want to answer that we should probably look into the word! Because I know it does not mean extremely buff or the yoke of an egg. 

Yoke: a wooden crosspiece that is fastened over the necks of two animals and attached to a plow or cart that they are to pull. 

So when one animal is not strong 

enough to carry something, they 

will use a yoke so that two animals

can pull it. It would distribute the 

weight of the object evenly to the 

animals and they could pull it 

working together. 

As Christian's it is important that we are not yoked to the wrong things or the wrong people. When we are trying to move forward, but we are yoked to a person who is stagnant, it may prevent us from moving forward. And God does not want us stagnant. He wants us to keep moving forward. 

In the Old Testament, God talks about the people being yoked to the rulers a lot. Most of the rulers that are not following God himself but walking in their own ways. I have been reading Jeremiah and the work yoke is used many times. Sometimes God might have us yoke together with someone for a season, but when God breaks that yoke, we have to be careful to not re-yoke with that person or thing. 

We need to make sure that we are not yoked together with people who do not believe.   2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion that light with darkness?

It can be detrimental for our spiritual walk to be yoked together with someone who is not headed in the same direction as you. It can make your walk much harder. Could you imagine being tied to someone physically and you both are trying to go in separate directions? First of all, it would be exhausting. You would get tired very quick. Not only physically but mentally and emotionally as well. Pretty soon you feel like they are a burden to you and you are a burden to them. It does not sound like much fun at all. This happens to Christian's and sometimes we do not even realize it, we just feel exhausted all of the time. We feel stagnant, like we are not moving forward. Today I was at the lake paddle boarding and the wind was blowing so there were a lot of waves. I would be trying to paddle so hard but after like 3 minutes of paddling, I was not going anywhere. That is what it is like. 

Something I have observed about the yoke is that it only has 2 holes. When you are wearing a yoke with someone else....there is no room for Jesus. If we do not have Jesus, life is going to be much harder than it has to be. The load will seem so much heavier and almost impossible. 

One of my favorite scriptures in the Bible is Matthew 11:28-30 Come to me, all who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my YOKE upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my YOKE is easy, and my burden is light. 

Are you yoked to an unbeliever? Maybe yoked to the world? Maybe yoked to someone who says they are a Christian but is still in the world? Does you load fell to heavy? Are you growing weary? 



Jesus will break that yoke that is heavy. That yoke that is not His. When we are yoked to Jesus, not only does our load get lighter but we start to follow Him, We start to walk the way that He walks. And life just gets better. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuck in this season, because I can't let go

       Do you ever feel like you are just failing in life? Like there is nothing that you can do right? I am going through a season that I have thought was over but apparently it is not. I believe God is ready for me to move onto the next season, but I am keeping myself stuck in this season. A few weeks ago, it felt like I was moving out of it. But here I am. STUCK!        Why have I not moved out of this season. I feel like I am sabotaging my entire walk with the LORD and there is nothing I can do to stop it. Maybe that is just it. Maybe I need to stop and just TRUST GOD. I feel like it is much easier said than done. Why is it so hard to trust God? I cannot seem to get out onto the first step, not matter how much I want to. I want to walk with the Lord, in everything that He has ordained for my life. But right now, it feels like I am missing it all. I think as humans we want to see the entire picture...but with God, we can't. If we saw the entire picture, we would not really be tr

Rest sounds GOOOOODD!!!

 A wonderful friend of mine has invited me to start studying the Book of Hebrews with her. It has been amazing. The Lord has really blessed us in it. This last week we did Chapter 4. Which was a lot about rest. And then our Guest Pastor Tim Morrow spoke on resting with the Lord on Sunday.  I don't believe there are such things as a coincidence.  At church he was talking about entering into the Lord's rest. Which comes at the end of our run.  God has created rest since the beginning for us. The Israelites could not enter it because they were disobedient to the Lord.  Hebrews 4:6 NLT So God's rest is for the people to enter, but those who first heard this good news failed to enter because they disobeyed God.  My KJV says they failed to enter because of their unbelief. Unbelief or Disobedience?? I found this extremely interesting, maybe just because I am a nerd for the Word of God. In Numbers 14:3-4 (NLT), Why is the Lord taking us to this country only to have us die in battle

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry

  Have you ever heard something at one part of the day  and it kind of resonated with you but you just went on  with the rest of your day? Then later that day you hear  something of the same thing?  That happens to me all the time.  This is how I know God is trying to talk to me. There are no sure things a coincidences. If this happens to you, PAY ATTENTION! God is trying to tell you something.      I am bringing this up because I feel like it is a message that the church needs to hear. I have been feeling led to write this blog for days now, but have ignored the leading. Today I sat down, turned my computer on, only to learn that the battery had stopped working completely. I knew in my spirit this message needed to go out...so I went to WalMart to buy a new computer. The enemy knows this is how I share what God teaches me, so he attempted to stop it, but he did no prevail. Now I am sitting at my kitchen table with the power of the Holy Spirit in me and we are going to write this blog.